How would you answer the question ‘are contact lenses better and safer than spectacles?’
When it comes to choosing contact lenses over glasses, your answer will depend on a few different things but more than anything it will all be down to personal preference.
We all wish there was a clear right and wrong to a decision. It would make life much easier. It hardly works that way in real life and one of those decisions is whether to wear contact lenses or spectacles.
Remember that anyone who tells you that it is definitely THIS or THAT option has usually made their choice and thinks they know what’s right for you. It’s important to choose what YOU want and which one works best for you and your lifestyle.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each choice to help you decide ‘Are contact lenses better and safer than spectacles or glasses?’
Seeing the Pros & Cons for yourself
The good news is that there is more than one difference between wearing contact lenses or spectacles.
It can all come down to the look, feel, cost and the special factors you are looking to address with what you wear over your eyes.
When it comes to the advantages of contact lenses, the list includes;
- A better field of vision. Because contacts conform to the shape of your eyes, you get a clearer less distorted view than you do with glasses.
- The all-weather option. Contact lenses are affected by the elements such as rain and they don’t fog up with a change in temperature, humidity or during physical activity.
- Exercise and sports-friendly. You won’t have the issues of your glasses, slipping and sliding around while you work out or exercise. If you play a team sport like hockey or lacrosse, your special sport safety goggles will fit easily over your eyes when you wear contacts.
- An easier fashion fit. Contact lenses aren’t limited to what clothes you wear. Contacts go with any choice of outfit no matter what the style.
- Alternative to eye surgery. Anyone afraid of or who can’t afford the significant expense of laser eye surgery to correct their vision can choose contact lenses as a corrective measure.
- Added fun factor. With the magic of coloured contact lenses, you can change the colour of your eyes whenever you feel like it. You have the choice of everything from Natural coloured lenses to the fun and enjoyment of Halloween, Cosplay or Fancy Dress contacts.
The downside to contact lenses is they can make the problems of allergies, dry eyes or eye sensitivity worse than if that person is wearing glasses. Contact lenses can be more expensive than glasses in the long run simply because you don’t replace them as often.
It’s important to remember that there is the risk that glasses or spectacles can and sometimes break or get cracked or damaged. Then you are looking at a costly outlay for replacement.
Raise your glasses to spectacles
While eye glasses can be more expensive to replace than contact lenses, there are some pros to consider, such as;
- A style accessory. Gone are the day when wearing glasses were awkward and even ugly. These days, glasses can actually be a fashion item that gives you the chance to show another side to your personality and sense of style.
- Protection. Glasses can protect your eyes from the wind as well as the dangers of dust, debris and pollen in the air. You can have your glasses made to save you from the harm of UV rays with a special tint.
- Going hands-free. You are less likely to touch your eyes by wearing glasses. That means less chance to irritate them or develop an eye infection.
- Money saver. As a rule, glasses are cheaper than contacts because you don't need to replace them as often. If and when your prescription changes, you can still save money by keeping your frames and only changing the lenses.
The Cons of choosing glasses over contact lenses is that you are more likely to take your glasses off and on throughout the day. That means a much greater chance of misplacing or even losing them. That can be either stressful and frustrating or an unnecessary expense.
If you need to wear strong prescription lenses, you may find they make your eyes look much larger or smaller than normal. You may be loaded with having to wear glasses with a thicker edge. That can sometimes bring about a less appealing look.
The Care Factor
When you’re left wondering are contact lenses better and safer than spectacles? Remember that both contacts and glasses need to be cared for properly.
Contact do require more care and cleaning than glasses do.
Even when you choose the option of coloured contact lenses, you need to make sure your lenses are kept clean, undamaged and stored safely in an appropriate container in saline solution.
Any damage to any contact lenses means you could cause damage to your eyes.
When in doubt about wearing your contacts – it is best to dispose of your contact lenses if you find them damaged in any way or when they feel uncomfortable to wear.
Care extends to your glasses as well.
If you find the lenses are affecting your eyesight (e.g. a tiny scratch or mark on the lens) or if the frames of your glasses are pinching on the bridge of your nose or too tight over your ears or scalp, see an optician. They will be able to repair or adjust your glasses so that you have the best wear possible.
Stop worrying and go for quality
Are glasses or contacts more expensive? Are contact lenses better and safer than spectacles? Are you going to sacrifice comfort in order to get the latest fashion in eyewear?
The most important thing of all is to choose quality eyewear.
It doesn’t necessarily mean paying a huge amount.
Whether it’s glasses, prescription contact lenses or even coloured contacts – quality matters.
You don’t want anything but certified quality lenses anywhere near your eyes.
Spend time doing your research, ask everyone you know, then check for genuine reviews. You will end up saving your time and money by choosing what’s right for you.
And, just for the record – the best in coloured contact lenses are right here.
All you need to do is Colour Your Eyes.